2017 school travel passes will be re-issued at the beginning of Term 1 and will be available for collection from our morning Buslink drivers in early February.

You will need a new school travel pass for your child if:

  • your child is moving from primary school to secondary school
  • you have changed address
  • you have changed travel days
  • you have enrolled them at a different school

If your circumstances haven’t changed you do not need to re-apply for a pass.

How do I apply for a Buslink school travel pass?

Your child may be eligible for free bus travel. To download an application form head to your bus service Sunshine Coast. You can email your completed application to info.sunshinecoast@buslink.com.au or post to 11 Page St, Kunda Park Qld 4556.

If you don’t have access to a printer you’re welcome to ask one of our friendly Buslink drivers for an application.

If my student is ineligible for free travel, how do I pay the excess fare?

Students with a Buslink part pass (part payment) can purchase single, daily or weekly tickets from the bus driver using cash. If your student is travelling Monday to Friday in both morning and afternoons, it is cheaper to purchase a weekly ticket as you’ll receive a day free travel.

If a student doesn’t qualify for a Buslink pass they will be required to pay the full cash fare or purchase a Go Card to save up to 30% off the full fare.

*Please read the Eligibility Criteria on the Bus Travel Assistance Application